Building the Library

William Harward and William Bacon, two carpenters from Essex, undertake in 1466 to make the floor, roof, doors, windows and staircase of the new south range of the Schools for £23 6s 8d plus £10 in hand. The new library room, ‘libraria communis’, was on the first floor, its roof adorned with carved angels.

UA Luard 128