This novelty biscuit tin was made by Crawford & Sons in 1938. Founded in Leith in 1813, Crawford & Sons are the oldest Scottish biscuit manufacturers and are still in business today.
Biscuit tins became popular after the Licensed Grocers act of 1861 allowed groceries to be packaged and sold individually. As manufacturing processes improved, it became possible to cheaply produce more fanciful and distinctive types of tin. Designs became increasingly elaborate throughout the early part of the 20th century.
This globe actually rotates and can be detached from the stand and split in half to reach the biscuits within. The map is printed directly onto the tin using a process known as offset lithography, with the British Empire shown in its traditional pink.